I was thoroughly impressed by the creativity in a number of the Storybooks that I looked through, but below are three of my favorites that I saw.
I love this blog because it gives a voice to those whose narratives are often monopolized within storytelling (the villains) while also telling a traditional story in an anachronistic way. The title itself led me to initially question whether this blog was intended for "bad boys" in the masculine sense or for villains, but those questions were quickly answered. I love how the page resembles an actual notebook, with a broken paper spiral on the side and easily navigable titles along the left-hand side. It felt very much like I was looking into someone's notebook, which gave the stories an intimate, personal feel.
2. Paranormal: The Ayodhya Files
What really stuck out to me about this blog was the color scheme and organization of the different stories into "Case Files". As someone who watches a lot of Supernatural and other similar shows, the mystic/demonic element combined with a crime-fighting vibe caught my attention immediately. The details the author uses in the story are also very descriptive, which adds to the eerie vibe of the site/its construction. The simplicity of the pictures and images used also allows the reader to create a mental schema of the scene, instead of relying entirely on the author to provide an image of exactly what a certain scene looks like. By uniting enjoyable content with an equally enjoyable visual aspect, this blog really creates an experience for the reader.
3. The Herculean Hanuman
The first thing that really caught my eye in this blog were the stunning pictures. The landscape (pictured below) and Indian artwork in the Introduction was stunning, and only made the text more engaging. I also appreciated the blend of Greek tradition ("Herculean") with Indian tradition; as someone who really enjoys mythology, I found this blend to be particularly intriguing. However, the strongest part of this blog for me was the language used by the author. Their use of figurative language was, to me, exceptional, and it really contributed to the goal of storytelling.
2. Paranormal: The Ayodhya Files
What really stuck out to me about this blog was the color scheme and organization of the different stories into "Case Files". As someone who watches a lot of Supernatural and other similar shows, the mystic/demonic element combined with a crime-fighting vibe caught my attention immediately. The details the author uses in the story are also very descriptive, which adds to the eerie vibe of the site/its construction. The simplicity of the pictures and images used also allows the reader to create a mental schema of the scene, instead of relying entirely on the author to provide an image of exactly what a certain scene looks like. By uniting enjoyable content with an equally enjoyable visual aspect, this blog really creates an experience for the reader.
3. The Herculean Hanuman
The first thing that really caught my eye in this blog were the stunning pictures. The landscape (pictured below) and Indian artwork in the Introduction was stunning, and only made the text more engaging. I also appreciated the blend of Greek tradition ("Herculean") with Indian tradition; as someone who really enjoys mythology, I found this blend to be particularly intriguing. However, the strongest part of this blog for me was the language used by the author. Their use of figurative language was, to me, exceptional, and it really contributed to the goal of storytelling.
Desolate landscape by DeviantArt user John-Genova
Source: DeviantArt

No comments:
Post a Comment