Monday, August 15, 2016

Raindrops on Roses, Whiskers on Kittens... A Few of My Favorite Places (well, just one)

There's really nothing as beautiful to me as the Kansas City skyline. When I'm lucky enough to be perched on top of the Liberty Memorial (the building that provides the view in the picture below), I'm able to see the history of my childhood laid out before me. I see City Hall in the background, where I spent a summer working with the City Council. I see Union Station, where I had my first ever date with another guy. I see the courtyard where my city congregated to celebrate the Royals national title. I see the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, where I attended more shows than I can count. 

Picture taken from the Liberty Memorial by flickr user Allen Brewer

Kansas City isn't the biggest city in the Midwest. It isn't the most cultured place in the world (though it makes my Top 5), and it has more one-way streets than I really care for. That being said, Kansas City is thrilling. Its a breeding ground for technological innovation and health care research, a place where my mom teaches terminally ill patients in the hope that they feel somewhat normal. It is a place where people come together to create and express and love and work and care and embrace life. Its pretty beautiful, and its home. I can't wait to head back.

1 comment:

Laura Gibbs said...

AGREED, Jake, Kansas City is such a great place: I've been there just twice, but I had a blast both times. I really like how you could see reflected in this picture that it is YOUR city based on the life you have lived there. Wonderful!

The blog post looks great too - text, image, link, all of that. Isn't it nice how people share photos like that on Flickr? I am glad you were able to find such a lovely photo to use! Being able to work with both text and images is one of the pleasures of learning/writing online.

Post a Comment