Wednesday, August 24, 2016

My Reading Options

I'm intending to read the online, public domain version of the Ramayana for two primary reasons:

1. Its free and accessible at all times.
2. I think that the older versions of the work are going to be more authentic and more true to the original author's intent of the Ramayana.

The thing that has most caught my eye so far was the image that I posted in my previous post from the Herculean blog; I don't know why, but the image really caught my eye. Outside of that, I really enjoyed the opportunity to experiment with a form of writing that I'm not particularity familiar with within the story re-telling assignment.

I'm also excited for this class because, outside of AP English Literature, I've never taken an epic literature course. As an International Studies major (among other things), I'm excited to delve into non-Western literature and explore the rich traditions of India. I have always been fascinated by mythology... when I was a kid, I would check out huge volumes from our local library on the Egyptian gods or the Greek pantheon. It was something that just enthralled me. Regarding Eastern traditions, my academic exposure is relatively limited... I took Arabic in the first semester of my freshmen year, but that's about it. Outside of a lecture or two on Indian history in AP World History, I'm not particularly familiar with the history of the sub-continent. However, I am a huge fan of modern-day Indian performance groups, specifically Penn Masala, which is an East Asian a Cappella group (picture below). They were featured in Pitch Perfect 2 at the International competition, and are a fantastically musical group.

Penn Masala at a concert in Atalanta, taken by Wikipedia user Brndnmcmns
Source: Wikipedia


I also love getting the opportunity to see Indian art, especially sculpture. The image below from the Indian Epics Images site reminds me of an installation at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City that I love to look at.

12th Century stone sculpture of Vishnu
Source: Wikipedia
Other than those instances, I'm not well-versed in Indian history, traditions, or culture, but I'm very excited to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment