Friday, August 26, 2016

Wikipedia Trail- From Nursery Rhymes to The United States Commission on Civil Rights


I revisited Nursery Rhymes after my original re-telling post because I was interested to see what Wikipedia had to say about the ability of these childish poems to influence how children think. I was reminded that these works are also overwhelmingly English; as you see from the picture below, even characters that aren't explicitly explained as wearing certain clothing are dressed in traditional English attire.

And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon by Randolph Caldecott
Source: Wikipedia

Its not surprising that I found this page, considering what I was looking for on my first page. I'm primarily interested in political correctness because, as a Social Justice/LGBTQ Studies minor and an activist, I believe in the power of words. Therefore, I was wondering what Wikipedia would have to say about the issue, especially considering what a buzz-phrase political correctness can be. I was also very interested in the fact that the phrase was hardly used before the 90's... its introduction into modern-day rhetoric is a recent concept.


I ended up on the Affirmative Action page because I was wanting to find other court cases aside from the recent/popular ones that created the case law surrounding affirmative action. However, I was far more interested to learn how other nations practice Affirmative Action in their hiring process. For example, there is a system in India that imposes quotas for certain subsets of people; considering India's background, its not surprising that the caste system is being recreated in its governing structure.  

I ended up on this page because, despite my intending to pursue a career as a civil rights attorney, I've never heard of this Commission. It was created in the 50's and still exists, with a membership composed primarily of Democratic and Independent political leaders. However, in theory, it is supposed to be bipartisan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment