| Cortez A.M. Ewing, Namesake of the Ewing Fellowship Source: OU Political Science |
Saturday, October 1, 2016
Famous Last Words: Fellowship Reflection
This is a reflection on the last two weeks, which have been particularly exhausting. A few months ago, I decided to apply for the Ewing Fellowship, which is an award through the Political Science Department here at OU that funds a summer internship in D.C. For an aspiring lawyer, that opportunity is too significant to pass up. As such, I decided to apply. The application was extensive; it required two complete letters of recommendation, a 1500-word essay, a very specifically formatted resume, and a number of other smaller requirements. All in all, crafting the perfect application took a little over two months. Last week, however, was when I really needed to get down to business. I double-checked that my rec letters were in. I read, re-read, and then re-read my re-read copy of my essay probably about twenty times. I sent it to friends, co-workers, roommates... anyone that would read it had it thrust in front of their face. It was, quite honestly, an awful week as I strived to create exactly the kind of application that would help me to get the award. Yesterday, I got an e-mail that I had advanced to the interview phase. I almost cried. I hugged my boss, who happened to be nearby at the time. I called my mom. I celebrated with my best friend. Then I realized that I needed to prepare for the interview, which is supposed to be an intensive analysis of your proposed policy initiative by a number of political science professors. I've been spending the last 24-hours preparing for that like a man possessed. That being said, I am so excited to present in front of this panel. I get a rush from high-stakes public presentation that I don't think I can find anywhere else. Wish me luck!
Labels:
Famous Last Words,
Week 6
1 comment:
Congrats on getting closer to your dream! I know how it feels when you get something so unexpected. All I can say is that it feels AMAZING! All the best with everything that you do. And congratulations once again!!
Post a Comment