Saturday, October 15, 2016

Famous Last Words: Singing

On the third floor of the Conoco Phillips Student Leadership Center, there is a wide-open space with tall, vaulted ceilings, and at 11:00pm on most weekday nights, there also aren't usually students. The absence of people, combined with the acoustic nature of the space, makes it a great place to sing full-voice, which isn't something that I'm able to do too often. This week, I've found myself on the third floor almost every evening, belting out Sam Smith, Adele, and old-school Latin songs that I remember from high school. Singing is something that I find to be incredibly cathartic... there is really no substitute for the high that I get when I hit a powerhouse note in a song or when I create a really beautiful harmony with someone else. Unfortunately, this year, I had to quit my a cappella group because my Student Government Association position requires me to attend meetings the same evening as rehearsal. If there's anything that I regret from this year, it is absolutely that I had to quit. I didn't have much of a voice... I have to pay rent, after all, but I miss being able to sing with other people. It is honestly one of the greatest joys that I have in life. I've lately been thinking about starting a student organization with other people in my situation so that we can at least get together every so often to hang out and create beautiful music together. So far, I've found quite a few people, but I still don't know what that will look like. Do we buy sheet music? Do we hire an accompanist? I don't know, but I'm really excited to see where this all ends up. Even if it doesn't work out, I still have the third floor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to sing too! Hitting those note and harmonizing is definitely an unmatched feeling, I'd have to agree. Do you play any instruments? I know chords for the piano and I am attempting to learn guitar (ouch). Music is such a great outlet though. I can't say I've ever been to the third floor of the Conoco Phillips Student Leadership Center, I'll have to go check it out! You should really try to form that group though, I think it could be a lot of fun!

Ankitha Gangarapu said...

Jake! Let me know about this singing group because I'm also in the same boat. I've been too busy every semester to really join an organization that I can sing with and have either been going to the temple to sing or holding private shower concerts. Also, what Latin songs do you know? When I was in high school choir, we had a Madrigal Dinner show and each year we would sing Gregorian chants, one of which was the Personet Hodie.

Post a Comment