Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Reading Notes: Paley's "Sita Sings the Blues", Part A

Bibliography: Nina Paley's "Sita Sings the Blues"

This animation is surprisingly entertaining! I do think that the bodies are pretty unrealistic… Lakshmi’s waist and breasts are largely disproportionate. I wonder if that’s a feature of cultural in general, or if that’s due to the westernization of the story? Just a thought. The conversation surrounding the story does a great job pointing out some of the ridiculousness of the story. If I had been talking about this story to my friends, this is totally how I would have portrayed the story. I had always assumed that it was Shurpanakha who was the golden deer.

Story telling- what if this story was done with classic musical songs instead of old-school jazz?

Story telling- what if Sita had some kind of special jewel or something similar that housed Rama’s power? Like, he literally needed her in order to do his thing.

Again with the not real bodies.

Lol I love how they point out how slightly silly it is to assume that Sita dropping her jewelry.

I didn’t realize that both Shiva and Krishna both had incarnations in the Ramayana.

I find it interesting that, when Ravana speaks, all ten of his heads speak. I have always imagined each head doing its own thing… ten heads, ten brains, ten different patterns of speech, right?

Story telling- Ravana’s heads each conflict with each other.

Lol “must love cat”

The half-man, half-monkey thing reminds me of the capitalized Monkey versus monkey in Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (which was the book that inspired the movie).

Story telling- cross over between Wicked and the Ramayana?

I love Sita’s smile when the battle happens at Ravana’s.

I LOVE THE ROMANTIC REUNION AND THEN RAMA BEING A TOTAL BUTT. RAMA IS SUCH A REGRETTABLE CHARACTER. LIKE DUDE. COME ON.

The Gods Attest to Sita's Purity
Source: Nina Paley via Wikimedia Commons


No comments:

Post a Comment